Thursday, February 21, 2013

Green Cookin' - Calabasas!

I remember when I first embarked on this new lifestyle, one of the tips I read to help me with my change was to find a few staple recipes. At first it seemed like I was never going to find a substantial amount of recipes to help me get by; but FINALLY I have 2 recipes that I like to make and LOVE to eat over and over again.

The first is Calabasitas or calabasas which is spanish for squash/ zucchini. I got this recipe off the ifood.tv vegetarian recipe app. The nice thing about this app is that most recipes will provide a video to show how the person cooked the dish step by step, along with the standard written instructions. I'm the type of cook who doesn't necessarily like to measure out my ingredients, I season and and taste as I go. However, I know there are some who like to "follow the rules" so I'll provide the recipe from the app here for you to use accordingly.

Ingredients

Dried crushed Oregano- 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon juice - 1 Teaspoon
Summer squash/ zucchini of choice- 2 pounds diced
( I added  2 carrots diced)
Yellow Onion- 1 Large, diced
Garlic- 3 cloves minced
Green chiles- 4 ounces (i didn't have any so I left them out)
Corn kernels- 4 - 6 ounces
Fresh cilantro- 1/4 cup (4 tbs)
Olive oil- 4 Teaspoons
Cotija or queso fresco- 1 cup crumbled (i used cotija and not a full cup)


Preperation

1) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the diced onion and saute for about 20 mins, once the onion is golden brown add the garlic and stir for a few more minutes caramelizing the onions and garlic.

2) Add the corn, green chiles, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir until all nicely combined and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.

3) Add the lemon juice and the veggies and cook for about 10 minutes until almost tender, crumble the cheese over the veggies and stir.

4) Garnish with fresh cilantro.

by: Cooking with Rockin Robin

I served this over my green onion infused white rice and it was Delicioso!!!



Hope you get a chance to try it, you will not be disappointed :D


Good vibes and Happy days,

-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment