Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tofu veggie stir fry with udon noodles

I finally made my first vegetarian dinner (finally!) I knew that I was going to make some type of stir fry with my beloved wok but I didn't know exactly how I was going to do it and if it was going to turn out any good. So, I was perusing in my fridge and pantry trying to figure out what exactly I was going to throw into the meal and I just started grabbing most of the veggies we had bought at the grocery. The last two thing I grabbed were a package of Udon noodles and tofu... yes, TOFU. Now, I have nothing against the white, pastey looking stuff, I love it in miso soup and this beef stew I used to get at the Korean restaurant I used to frequent in high school. It was the thought that the flavor, tenderness and overall not suckiness (i like to invent words) of this little soy delicacy was in my adequate hands. I didn't go in completely blind however, I decided to test out one of the new veggie food apps I had downloaded to my phone. 

The app I used is from ifood.tv and when you see it, the picture looks like it says if vegetarian. I looked up tofu stir fry but I really didn't follow any particular recipe, my main concern was learning how long to cook the tofu for and if in fact you can overcook the stuff (it can overcook ;) ). The makeshift recipe is as follows:

1 package extra firm organic tofu (I only used half since its only me)
 - Cut the tofu into even cubes about an inch or so around

1 head of broccoli
 - Cut into bite size pieces or size of your liking

1.5 bell peppers (i used red) 
 - Sliced and cut in half

2 green onions/ chives
 - roughly chopped

3 small mushrooms
 - finely sliced

1 package cooked Udon noodles
 - Cut in half

Soy sauce

Teriyaki sauce

Sesame seeds (to your liking, also a good source of fiber heehee) (video stated it added a "meaty" flavor to the dish and I thought it did help)


and for kicks I threw in some chopped red onion and a whole bunch of minced garlic 
(gotta pack on that garlic!)

Cooking the stuff:

-Add some oil to you wok or skillet or whatever it is you may have and let that heat up a bit (basics haha)

-When the oil is warm throw in your tofu (garlic if you'd like) and toss it around so it all gets coated

- Drizzle some soy sauce

- Let the tofu cook a few minutes and then throw in your sesame seeds, garlic and drizzle on the teriyaki sauce, as much as you'd like 

*** Do not throw the sesame seeds in too soon after the tofu because they will fly out at you like fireworks!!! I got hit right in between the twins (or where there should be some lady lumps lol)

- After 5 mins or so, or when the tofu is looking brown and firm throw in all your veggies of choice (and more garlic if you'd like)

- In the last 2 mins thrown in your noodles, mix around, salt and pepper to taste
 and your all set!

(told you I love garlic!)

I had enough for leftovers for the next day and it was actually tasty enough for me to enjoy 2 days in a row... (I'm picky about eating certain leftovers.. weird, this one is :D ) 

After completing my meal, it was time to make the hubbys. 

His consisted of all the same except swapping the tofu for beef. Yea.

I thought I was going to be salivating while stir frying his steak and veggies but I was surprised that the sight and almost smell of it made me cringe a bit. Now I admit I think that it was due to the cut of meat b/c the next day or so he made himself a steak and that sh*# smelled SO Bomb! (Don't worry I didn't try it, though I wanted to so so so badly). But this time it just looked absolutely disgusting to me and it made me happy haha. 



I was very pleased with myself and super happy that my first veggie endeavor was a complete success!!! 

If only I could've said the same for attempt #2. ugh. 

lol Until then, good vibes and happy days! <3


- jess

No comments:

Post a Comment