Friday, January 25, 2013

Cheddar Cauliflower Soup

Recently, I had been on the hunt for a recipe of broccoli cheddar soup that didn't include chicken broth, and subsequently came across this recipe. I did end of finding the broccoli recipe but I was out of the green goodness and I had a head of cauliflower in my fridge just waiting to be used. As always I didn't follow the recipe to the tee, but ill go ahead and copy the original here for you along with my tidbits so you can pick and choose how you would like to make it :D



  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

  • 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and rinsed
  • (I didn't have leeks so I diced up 3-4 stalks of celery)

  • 4 cups chopped cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head)

  • 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided

  • 2 cups water

  • 1 bay leaf

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper

(I added a mix of italian herbs and a bit of oregano)

  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

  • 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese

  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

(I added chopped chives at the end)


PREPARATION
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, 2 cups milk, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is soft, about 8 minutes.


2. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl. When the cauliflower is soft, remove the bay leaf and stir in the milk mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the soup has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and lemon juice.


(courtesy of eatingwell.com, sorry I forgot to 
snatch a pic of mine lol)


I found this recipe on EatingWell.com. The hubs and I really 
enjoyed it, and we hope you will too!

Good Vibes and Happy Days <3

-Jess








No comments:

Post a Comment